I’ve recently heard that 80% of all visitors of Karlsruhe, the city I live in, are business people. And there are almost no people, who come to visit the city itself or the near area. That’s definitely true. My personal Couch Surfing statistics says pretty much the same. Here are the reasons why people surf my couch:
1. Because they need to stay somewhere between Heidelberg and Strasbourg, because they have been riding a bicycle for a lot of days and can’t do more than 60-70km per day.
2. Because it is easy to hitch-hike to and from Karlsruhe
3. Because they are American and travel in Europe and would like to go from Paris to Munich and of course pass through Karlsruhe
4. Because they want to go to France, but prefer to take a cheap Ryan Air flight to Karlsruhe or Hahn.
5. Because they are French and would like to experience East Europe and have to go through Karlsruhe.
6. Because they come from Eastern Europe and would like to visit France or Spain
7. Because they are French and come back from a party in Berlin
8. Because they travel around Germany with a bicycle and make interviews from young people.
9. Because they need to catch an early train from Karlsruhe
10. Because they missed a late train in Karlsruhe
11. Because they have to work for some days in Karlsruhe
12. Because they found a new job in Karlsruhe, but no place to live
13. Because they are students and their studies are starting, but they could not find a place to stay, because there are not enough student accommodations in Karlsruhe.
14. Because they want to visit a seminar in Karlsruhe
15. Because they make an apprenticeship in Karlsruhe
16. Because they hold a seminar in Karlsruhe
17. Because they want to visit ZKM
18. Because I’m organizing nice CS events and people like to come to them 😉
19. Because I’m always inviting people to visit me or people would like to visit me.
20. Because they want to visit a concert at Substage
21. Because they want to visit the Das Fest
22. Because they play music and Karlsruhe has one of the most lively scenes in Germany
As a conclusion here are the reasons sorted by importance:
1. Karlsruhe is an important transportation hub
2. People like to visit me
3. Karlsruhe is an important business and work place
4. People like to have fun in Karlsruhe
5. People would like to visit Karlsruhe
Nevertheless, Karlsruhe is a great city, so I’m going to write another post to tell you why it is great to live in Karlsruhe.